Hydrangeas are easily recognizable for the large clusters of brightly colored flowers. There are many different species all of which have the same beautiful foliage and flowers.
How fast do hydrangeas grow
The rate at which hydrangeas grow is contingent upon the type and how well they are cared for. If you care for your hydrangeas as you should, and you don’t prune them unnecessarily they will grow regularly. Most varieties will produce blooms year after year without you having to do anything.
Hydrangea size guide
- A new variety of potted Hydrangea plant, Vanille Fraise is a hardy shrub that bears pink and white flowers which mature to a strawberry shade and then finish as a rich red. Grow your own hydrangea at home!
- Extremely hardy and easy to grow outdoor shrub plants; ideal for difficult north facing positions in the garden. Perfect gifts for a gardener.
- A versatile outdoor plant that is the perfect addition to any area of the garden or patio, including cottage gardens. Shrubs for the border. Grow alongside other plants, such as lavender for a colourful and fragrant display.
- Potted garden plant; this plant is supplied to customers in a 1 x 8cm pot and is a well-established plant that can be planted straight out into its final position as soon as the weather allows.
- Your satisfaction guaranteed; we want you to be 100% satisfied with any product that you buy from us. If you’re not 100% happy then neither are we, so let us know and we’ll replace your product or give you your money back.
|Bigleaf hydrangeas||Maximum average height and width of 10 ft|
|Oak Leaf hydrangeas||Maximum average height and width of 8 feet|
|Smooth hydrangeas||Maximum average of 5 ft|
|Panicle hydrangeas||Average of 12 to 15 ft though some can reach up to 25 ft. The panicles reach up to 18 inches in length.|
|Climbing Hydrangea||Up to six feet wide and up to 50 feet tall|
Each type of hydrangea has slightly different growing conditions and size differentiation between height and width.
The big leaf hydrangea is known for the large leaves and is one of the most commonly cultivated varieties. It grows on average to no more than 10 feet wide and 10 feet tall. This deciduous shrub drops its leaves off when things get cold and then blooms in late spring. These are typically sold in pots which is why many people seen in gardening stores, nurseries, and florists shops.
- A Magnificent Hydrangea Plant called Glam Rock that has blooms that actually Change Colour as the flower matures throughout the summer. Also known as ‘Horwack’ it won the best new plant variety at the 2014 grower of the year awards.
- This Colourful Hydrangea Flower is an eye catching addition to your flower beds or as a border plant, the Blooms constantly change colour and often mixed on a single bloom, giving you fantastic display; it is also suitable as a Hydrangea in a Pot on your patio.
- As with all Hydrangeas, the flower colour will vary depending on soil conditions and can be altered using hydrangea colourant. Alkaline or neutral pH soild will provide colours of pink / red / green while more acidic soil will display flowers that are more purple / blue / green in colour, so make sure your soil is ready for the colourway you want!
- Potted outdoor plant; this plant is supplied to customers in a 9cm nursery pot; with a height of approximately 15cm. Supplied with T&M's very own cultural instructions on how to care for your plants.
- Your satisfaction guaranteed; we want you to be 100% satisfied with any product you buy from us. If you’re not 100% happy then neither are we, so let us know and we’ll replace your product or give you your money back
The Oakleaf hydrangea has beautiful leaves in the shape of oak leaves and it will turn a deep red in the fall. This is the only species of a hydrangea whose foliage changes colors in the fall. Other variety simply lose their leaves. This particular variety is not tolerant of heat and it is slightly smaller than the big leaf with maximum height and width around 8 feet. The flowers are produced in longer clusters called panicles which is different from the rounded globular flowers of the bigleaf hydrangeas. The leaves are typically a creamy white color and they gradually turned pink.
No products found.
Smooth hydrangeas are much smaller than the other species and typically reach a height and width around five feet. This is a deciduous plant that has smooth green leaves and rounded white clusters of flowers. It is a very fast grower and it can, in fact, reach 5ft wide and tall in just one season especially if you cut it back.
The panicle hydrangea has long panicles of densely-packed flowers that are white in color. This is the biggest shrub species and it can reach upwards of 15 feet in height and 12 ft wide although some species can reach up to 25 ft tall. The panicles themselves are quite large as well and typically reach lengths around 18 in. This is a very tough plant, one which can tolerate colder temperatures and offers blooms at the end of summer. Given the size of the flowers, it can sometimes droop toward the ground because of the weight.
No products found.
The Climbing Hydrangea is a shrub that climbs. It has very large leaves that are shaped like hearts and spiky white flowers. It is the biggest of all the hydrangeas out there and it can climb up to 50 feet and spread as wide a 6 ft. If you leave it on the ground and don’t let it climb it will cover a space of 200 square feet or more. It’s very drought tolerant and will grow very quickly.
- Propagation methods: Layering, Semi-ripe cuttings
- Can get aphids, capsid bug, glasshouse red spider mite and hydrangea scale
- Generally disease free
Image credits – Shutterstock.com
Last update on 2020-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API